23 September 2009

Comic Empire Building


Asked by a non-comics reading friend what I thought about Disney acquiring Marvel Comics, I was accosted as being perhaps coy in my response. But I wasn’t. I said, ‘Marvel has a great stable of characters, of course Disney would like to acquire them.’ I wasn’t hiding my thoughts behind words. I am correct in them. But, ... there is, in fact, more to consider. Disney is acquiring a great stable of characters, true, but Marvel is now in the hands of marketing genius. Is that a good thing for Marvel? If money is a good thing, yes. Probably a very good thing. But I do not think money is going to improve the works of Marvel, instead, I believe the intellectual properties of Marvel will be treated with the same “care” as other Disney properties... which is, whatever it takes to make money from them. That isn’t in itself a bad thing. As before, when I spoke of the effect upon the industry of the Direct Market, I say bless them, if that is what they desire.

Becoming a fixture in American or world consumer culture, as toys, or cartoons, or movies, or toothbrushes or children’s books... is meaningless outside of monetary reward. So I need to ask, how many Disney movies or books or product in general are anything but regurgitative vomit? They also bowdlerize what they adapt. In their stories they also make into nice what was historically mean. They also create happy falsism in their false morality tales taken from classics and rewritten for modern audiences. I expect Marvel to be inhaled by Disney, and poured back to the readers and consumers from a Disney perspective. Don’t read this as angry, I still have all the great Marvel stories I’ve enjoyed in the past, still like all the creative people I liked before who have worked at Marvel. I just think this is another step, even a big one, towards the consumption of comics as a creative medium, and transforming the medium into a monetized ghetto in order to test market ideas.

Alex Ness is a writer, a poet, and reader. You can find links to all his work: here

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mick Martin said...

I can't pretend I know what's going to happen with the acquisition, but I have to say I think some of your storytelling criticisms of Disney could be leveled at Marvel. Rewriting history, morality tales, creating stories just to facilitate merchandising - all sounds like Marvel to me. If anything Disney's just been better at it.

And like you, I'm not trying to bash Marvel. I grew up on them and still have a lot of nostalgic, fluffy feelings for their characters. They have good, entertaining books and every now and then they can do something that's truly marvelous. But I don't think the truly innovative comics are going to be coming from Marvel, regardless of Disney's involvement.

Which isn't to say Disney's acquisition is necessarily good or bad, just that I don't think if there is anything particularly bad about it, it will be because of Disney using Marvel as a cold marketing tool, since that's what it is already.

September 23, 2009 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger alex-ness said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 23, 2009 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger alex-ness said...

I should say, when I refer to the constant revisionism by Disney, I talk not about their characters but their adaptations from Classics, which to me are historically relevant. Changing them for Political Correctness just frosts my cookies. Then again, I am an old fart more and more.

September 23, 2009 at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home